If you've ever dreamed of starting your own business but never quite begun, this post is for you. You might already have an idea, or many ideas, about what you would like to do but still you’re holding back. So, let us help you sift out some of those mythical barriers you might have in your way. Let's sort the fact from the fiction and you might just be shocked at how close you are to starting your own business....
1. “You Need a Unique Business Idea”. I have Good News... No Eureka moment required! Business is not always about the first, best or most innoative. Hair & beauty services, cleaning, landscaping, estate agency.. anyone can make a good business work if they have the right attitude, partnerships and are willing to use their skills and learn some new ones along the way. We dare you to find SOMETHING you could do. If you have a desire to be your own boss, you can find an idea that will work for you. What are you good at? What do people compliment you on? Start there.
2. “You Need Lots of Money to Start a New Business“. Wrong. There are literally thousands of businesses you can start on a shoestring (especially a shoestring business.. OK, moving on). Most home-based business require little more than a reliable internet connection, an understanding of your customers and some materials to get you started until your first sales come in. I know many people, including my husband, who have started a business by spending less than $100. Never let finance, or the lack of it, stop you. CHECK OUT OUR LIST OF 101 LOW OR NO-COST BUSINESS IDEAS.
Good News! No Eureka moment required! Business is not always about the first, best or most innovative .
3. “You Will Need an Office” (or factory!) There are many businesses you can run from your spare room/shed/kitchen table/laptop. No need for expensive overheads, staff or equipment at the beginning. You will need a good internet connection, a quiet place to work and some stationery - but that's about it. The world is your digital oyster! If you're good at tuning out background noise or have some good headphones, you could pick your favourite cafe and camp out there for the cost of a few drinks a day. Get imaginative about where, and when, you can work on your business.
4. “You Will Have to Run the Business for Life”. Let's straighten this one out. There is no rule book. Run it for a few years, make some money and then close it and do something different (or something related). The most enterprising people I know run many different businesses, often overlapping. Most importantly, if it is not making you money or if it’s making you stressed out or miserable – treat it as you would any job, and leave. Know when to quit.
5. “You Need to Write a Business Plan”. Ahh, the business plan police.. Don't believe a word of it.. The main audience for any business plan is YOU, the business owner. The whole purpose behind sitting down and writing out what your business is all about and how it will make a profit is to help you work through the practicalities. There’s no point fantasizing about thousands of people buying your product if you can’t say exactly how you will get your product to them and persuade them to purchase. You can plan your business on a flipchart, post-it note or in the sand on a beach! Sure, if you plan to approach investors, angels, banks then yes, some more time and effort will be required and there are many great templates available.
6. “It Will Be Very Hard Work”. OK, this is only a semi-lie. It is hard work running a business but at least you know that all the effort you put in is for your own direct benefit. You are the boss. Yay! But you’re also the employee. Ahh. So when you’d rather stay in bed or binge out on Pinterest instead of finding new customers there is no one there but you to motivate yourself. Remember that you can’t get away with only selling to friends and family for very long – you will have to go out there and find real live customers at some point. Be brave, get connected, get in the right place at the right time. The more business you get, the more business you get – that’s how it works.
You are the boss. Yay! But you’re also the employee. Ahh. So when you’d rather stay in bed or binge out on Pinterest instead of finding new customers - there is no one there but you to motivate yourself.
Hopefully you are feeling inspired to take your dreams to the next level.
Through our Amazon Associates' programme, we would like to recommend these handpicked resources below for further reading inspiration.
Sharing is caring.
If you have enjoyed this blog, please show your support and leave us a comment and let us know your thoughts. Click on the Facebook or Twitter buttons below to share! Thank you for being part of this growing community!